Like his great uncle and his mother before him, Ives built on land long held by his family. What we see now is a heavily re-worked, monumental stuccoed Greek Revival house (evident especially in the proportions) whose original entrance faced Charlesfield Street to the north. The principal entrance’s move to the south dates from architect Alfred Stone’s 1867 remodeling (far more evident internally but not visible to the public), and the sweeping porch was added in the late 1890s. The three children of Hope Brown and Thomas Poynton Ives built substantial houses near their parents, and this is one of the two (2.68) that remain. Moses Brown Ives (1794-1857), active in the family firm Brown & Ives, married Ann Allen Dorr, a daughter of Sullivan and Lydia Allen Dorr; their daughter, Hope Brown Ives Russell (1839-1909), gave her parents’ house to the Episcopal Diocese of Rhode Island in 1897, and it remained the bishop’s residence until the 1990s.