About the PPS Properties Database
In 2003, the Providence Preservation Society and the American Institute of Architects, Rhode Island Chapter, published the PPS/AIAri Guide to Providence Architecture. It was an instant success, becoming an indispensable guide for anyone curious about Providence’s architecture, landscapes and neighborhoods.
In 2015, the Trustees of the Preservation Society saw the need for this information to be available online and this database was born. Over the years, PPS has had a number of online property databases. They include the Mary A. Gowdey Library of House Histories and one that was produced with and hosted by The Providence Plan about Institutional and Commercial Buildings District. Unfortunately, those two online resources do not provide a robust means of cross-referencing properties that are found in multiple databases. We hope this new Properties Database will be that resource.
In the 2003 Guide, all text was written by Wm McKenzie Woodward and photography by Warren Jagger Photography.
Supporters of the 2003 edition included:
- The Providence Journal Company
- Oenslager Foundation Fund
- City of Providence
- Cornish Associates LP
- American Institute of Architects/ Rhode Island Chapter
- Antoinette Downing Fund/ National Trust for Historic Preservation
- Warren Jagger Photography
- Johnson & Wales University
- Henry & Peggy Sharpe
- Transforming Providence
- Rhode Island State Council on the Arts
- Foundry Associates
- Gilbane Building Company
- Greater Providence Chamber of Commerce
- Frederick Griffiths
- Edmond Rhodes Nickerson
- South Providence Development Corporation